If you were wondering “what’s up with those outlines of people around Seattle?” well here you go. Dead pedestrians. My primary means of getting around the city is walking, and I’ve noticed a few. I hope drivers see them too.
Please join us Tuesday for an evening of politics over a pint at the Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally. This is the place to go for some post-election discussions of the future.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Check out one of the other 189 chapters of Living Liberally, including twenty in Washington state, three in Oregon and one in Idaho. Find, or go out and start, a chapter near you.
On top of all the problems Seattlish raises with this bullshit petition to impeach Council Member Sawant, it’s a waste of her time. She’s doing incredibly important work on housing. It’s city budget season. Yeah, she’s an important part of these protests. I hope anyone in the media keeps their focus when they’re covering her, but too late.
Bread of deceit is sweet to a man; but afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel.
Can California form its own country?
Alex meets the President.
Adam Conover: The sinister reason weed is illegal:
The Sexual Predator, Путин Puppet, President Elect:
- Colbert: Трамп and Путин make their first joint appearance.
- Trevor: President-elect Трамп’s prospective cabinet of deplorables
- Seth Meyers: A Closer Look at Трамп’s promises and personnel
- Olbermann: Should we give Donald Трамп a chance?
- Randy Rainbow interviews Donald Трамп:
- Sam Seder: Warren debunks Трамп’s ‘drain the swamp’ claims.
- Young Turks: Трамп’s fraud will cost him $25M
- Samantha Bee: Sore winners.
- Trevor: How South Africa could prepare the U.S. for President Трамп
- Lawrence O’Donnell: George Takei on Трамп’s proposed Muslim registry.
- Sam Seder: Трамп Attorney General pick Sen. Jeff Sessions was too racist for a 1980s judgeship appointment.
- Young Turks: Трамп taps racist for top cop position
- Stephen: Путин gives Трамп a large wooden horse.
- Seth Meyers: A Closer Look at Трамп’s transition
- Trevor: Team Трамп’s proposes a Muslim registry
- Thom: Why Трамп’s Cabinet is a basket of deplorables
- Susie Sampson: 10 actions you can take to stop Трамп.
- Sam Seder & Cliff Schecter: Трамп appointees are as dangerous & alarming as possible Maddow: DC Hotel exemplifies Donald Трамп’s business conflicts
- Colbert: Steve Bannon And Reince Priebus are The New Odd Couple
- Young Turks: Трамп family using Presidency to cash in.
- Samantha Bee: New cabinet installation Party I
- Samantha Bee: New cabinet installation Party II
- Jimmy Dore: Why Steve Bannon in the White House makes perfect sense
- Jon on the presidential election.
- Olbermann: No, this is not normal pre-Presidential behavior.
- Seth Meyers: A Closer look at Donald Трамп’s first moves as President-Elect
- Farron Cousins: Democrats should block everything Трамп attempts, like GOP did To Obama
- Trevor: Donald Трамп’s post-election compromises
- Chris Hayes: Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) on hates crimes since election, Donald Трамп’s Presidency
- Young Turks: Трамп adds Islamophobic General to his “Cabinet of Deplorables”
- Sam Seder: Трамп National Security Advisor Michael Flynn is pathologically fixated on “radical Islamic terror”
- Young Turks: Трамп’s horrible chief strategist.
- Conan: Some of Трамп’s cabinet picks.
- Mark Fiore: Secretary of Deplorables.
- Stephen: Трамп is Tweeting for to relieve the pressure.
David Pakman: NSA Chief, Russia hacked the 2016 election.
Mental Floss: 39 U.S. City Name origins.
Minute Physics: Is the moon held up by a spring? How perspective shapes reality.
David Packman: Racist assholes call Michelle Obama an “ape in heals”.:
Joe Biden: Building on a record of economic progress.
Kimmel: The week in unnecessary censorship.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
In Monday’s Open Thread, I mentioned that I’d like to keep a Washington State exchange. But the more I think about it, the more I would like Washington State to just set up a public option of our own and sell it across state lines. Maybe we can keep our exchange and sell the public option to Washington State residents at cost, but sell it to the rest of the country at a profit. Of course, we’d probably need a Democratic State Senate to make that happen, but it’s worth the push.
There may be a lot of internally displaced refugees in Trump’s America. If Kansas collapses under its own weight, it may be that nobody can save them. If ICE raids are as bad as we fear, people might move to sanctuary cities. If police aren’t even doing the basics to protect Black people, Latin Americans, or gay people, they might have to move to other parts of the country where they feel safer.
I say this as a warning for Seattle and Washington: We have to get our shit together. We have to solve our homeless problem because more people are coming (and because it was always the right thing to do). We have to make sure people still have health care here because healthy people in Washington are more productive, and more people coming are going to need it (also, because it’s the right thing to do). We have to get serious about police reform so people who come here aren’t afraid of them (also, it’s the right thing to do).
I generally push back against people who say people who don’t like policies in their state should move to a more liberal state. But if we want to be an option for people, we have to work on ourselves.
Jesus Christ, I just have to take a moment to remark on what is perhaps the stupidest fucking editorial ever from the Seattle Times, a newspaper that has turned stupid fucking editorials into a veritable art form:
PRESIDENT Obama should pre-emptively pardon Hillary Clinton to protect her and the United States from a vindictive, showboat prosecution by the incoming Trump administration.
No, NO, NO… President Obama should not pardon Hillary Clinton under any circumstance! A pardon would be understood by the vast majority of Americans both as an admission of guilt and as conclusive evidence of endemic corruption in the Democratic establishment! How fucking stupid can the Seattle Times be not to see the politics of the situation through to its logical conclusion?
While I understand and even agree with the editorial board’s impulses (“The danger to America is not Clinton’s freedom but in having a presidency that even threatens to use its power for vendettas and jailing opponents”), it is far too late for such democratic high-mindedness. The threat has already been made! And the American people (well, the Electoral College) rewarded Trump for it with the White House. Obama pardoning Clinton would only embolden and enrage the trumpenproletariate, while freeing Chancellor Trump from the responsibility of fulfilling one of his most disturbing campaign promises.
Rather, cold political calculus tells us that we must let Trump be Trump. We must not allow him to escape this defining moment. He must either demonstrate to his base the weakness that is at the vile heart of all tyrants, or demonstrate to the world how little he honors the rule of law, let alone our nation’s two-and-a-quarter centuries of peaceful transfer of power.
A Clinton show trial would no doubt be a shock to the American psyche and a permanent scar on our nation’s world standing. But so would the show trials of Clinton underlings that would no doubt ensue should the Trump regime be denied its promised revenge (a Clinton pardon should be a sign for Huma Abedin to flee the country). It may be too late to avoid this trauma. But at least it would finally and totally rip away the fiction that there is anything normal about the alt-right regime that has seized the White House.
If Trump prosecutes Clinton, he turns her into a martyr of the democratic resistance. But if President Obama pardons Clinton, he transforms the two of them into political villains against which the Republicans will effectively run for decades to come. It isn’t fair. It isn’t comforting. But that is the America in which we now all live.
It is also an America that newspapers like the Seattle Times helped create through their endless coverage of the trumped up email witch hunt, and a shameful campaign of false equivalency that now trivializes “go hang yourself” and “go back to India” as mere “complaints” while characterizing Breitbart’s obvious and indisputable white nationalism as a mere he-said/she-said allegation of “critics say“—the critics explicitly othered on the paper’s front page as “angry … Jewish and Muslim groups.”
— (((Goldy))) (@GoldyHA) November 15, 2016
— (((Goldy))) (@GoldyHA) November 15, 2016
Like most of the rest of media, the Trump-normalizing Seattle Times has surrendered the moral authority to even report the news, let alone comment upon it. It does not matter if the editorial board’s motives were good: their advice is more than just wrong, it is dangerous.
The sole purpose of a free press is to safeguard democracy. On this the Seattle Times and the rest of the old guard news media utterly failed. So please, Seattle Times, for the sake of our nation, shut the fuck up before you do more harm.
The election is over, and one thing is clear: we have a lot of work to do! Please join us Tuesday evening at the Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally for a post-election debriefing and discussions about the future.
Can’t make it to Seattle on Tuesday night? Check out one of the other 189 chapters of Living Liberally, including twenty in Washington state, three in Oregon and one in Idaho. Find, or go out and start, a chapter near you.
Soooo, does anyone have the first clue what happens to states like Washington that have our own health care exchanges if Obamacare is repealed? If they replace it with a you-can-buy-plans-across-state-lines, what sort of restrictions can and should we add to it then? Can we do a multi-state, West Coast exchange? It would probably require Congress if it’s a governmental thing.
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Last Thursday, I was a guest on the Curmudgeon’s Corner podcast post-election edition. The host, Sam Minter, does his own polling aggregation site at ElectionGraphs.com. Along with co-host Iván Bou, we discuss the polling results from the election, our own final predictions and how they fared with other such sites for the first part of the podcast.
For the second part of the podcast, we explored the causes and consequences of the “greatest upset in electoral history,” and examine some possible responses to a single-party government.
Listen to the podcast here.
The. Stupid. Fucking. Electoral. College. *
* Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by a substantial margin. If we elected our president, as we should, by a National Popular Vote, there would be no need for all this stupid punditry.
John Oliver: Multilevel Marketing.
Young Turks: So…George Zimmerman walks into a bar…
Samantha Bee: A beautiful, faraway dream.
VSauce: Is it okay to touch Mars?
White House: West Wing Week.
David Pakman: Marijuana wins in 5 more states.
Catastrofuck 2016. America Elects a Racist, Sexist, Groping, Philandering, Swindling Narcissist:
- Young Turks: What Трамп promised to do in first 100 days.
- Stephen tries to make sense of it all.
- James Corden: Post election monologue
- The making of Donald Трамп.
- Young Turks: Racists emboldened by Трамп victory
- Sam Seder: The role of voter suppression in the Трамп victory
- David Pakman: Anti-semitism is back, and it’s not going away in Трамп America
- Late Night: Amaber invites White people to join the fun
- Farron Cousins: Racists inspired by Трамп victory
- Colbert: President Трамп!
- One Latina’s Take: Grace Parra on the 2016 election results
- PsychoSuperMom: Looks like quit the wrong week to sniffing glue:
- Young Turks: Трамп’s team is already bragging about “enemys list”
- David Pakman: How the fuck did Donald Трамп win?
- Triumph The Insult Comic Dog explains Трамп’s win.
- Bill Maher: Lessons for Democrats
- Trevor: Election 2016 Wrap-up
- James Corden: Day 2
- Bill Maher: New Rule: We are all still here.
- Seth Meyers: Thoughts on the election.
- Maddow: Трамп threat best met with civic activism
- Obama’s post election statement.
- Newzoids: Трамп is President.
- Five ways Трамп will “Make America Great Again”
- Trevor: Трамп visits the White House
- Conan: Global Newspapers React To President Трамп
- Sam Seder: Трамп keeps an enemy list
- Stephen: Don’t move to Canada just yet.
- Samantha Bee: Something that actually exits…Путин policy shop
- Kimmel: Путин congratulates his puppet Трамп
- Chris Hayes: The wrong side of Трамп’s America
- Bill Maher and Friends: Трамп press and civil rights.
- Young Turks: Трамп’s cabinet will likely look like George W. Bush’s
- Maddow with Sen. Warren (MA): The election and fighting back.
- Anti-Drumpf protests break out spontaneously.
- Kimmel: Children speak out about Donald Трамп
- Conan: Election thoughts.
- Samantha Bee: The morning after.
- Young Turks: Why are people wearing safety pins?
- Randy Rainbow: Hillary Wins!:
- Olbermann: The terrorists have won.
- Young Turks: ALMOST everyone was wrong about the election.
- “I didn’t vote because…”
- Young Turks: Russia confirms that they were in regular communication with the Трамп campaign
- Stephen interviews Melania Трамп
- Harry Shearer: Трамп and Obama
Mental Floss: 28 facts about The Beatles.
Do Presidents get paid after leaving office?
Young Turks: GOP gloats about suppressing Black vote.
Bill Maher with Eric Holder: Abolish the electoral college.
Daily Show: Bringing America together again.
Get ready for an extra special supermoon.
Late Show: Choke it down.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Darryl already did a Veteran’s Day Open Thread, but since I wrote this yesterday and was going to post it today, here it is, a bit late:
It’s Veteran’s Day, and so it’s Armistice Day. On this day On this day 98 years ago, a madness of war ended. Mechanized slaughter stopped. The War to End All War didn’t, obviously, so we still mint new veterans. But while all war didn’t end, that war did. And today’s conflicts will end. What we replace them with is up to us.
So here’s to a Veteran’s Day in the future where there are no veterans. Where war has been eliminated for so long that the idea becomes impossible to imagine. Here’s to a future where we don’t send people off to mechanized slaughter or whatever the fuck else we can dream up.
Until that day, a thank you to the veterans who read this.