At the filing deadline back in June, King County Councilmember Jane Hague probably chuckled with relief to learn that her only opponent was ten-time perennial loser Richard Pope. But it’s beginning to look like Pope is the candidate in the race who lucked out by drawing an unstable, self-destructive opponent.
King County Councilmember Jane Hague’s re-election campaign took another strange turn this week, when the campaign reported a potentially record-setting contribution by Hague and her husband — and then said the report was a mistake.
[…] The Bellevue Republican’s campaign reported to the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC) that Hague and her husband, Ed Springman, contributed $50,000 to the campaign Monday — an amount believed to be more than a County Council candidate has ever given to her own campaign. […] The reported contribution quickly prompted Hague’s opponent, Republican-turned-Democrat Richard Pope, to file complaints with state and county authorities, saying that Springman’s share violated the state’s $700 limit on how much anyone other than the candidate can give.
Jesus… what, was she drunk or something? Probably…
The latest misstep follows disclosures that Hague was arrested June 2 on suspicion of drunken driving and that she signed a biographical sketch during her 1993 campaign claiming a college degree that she didn’t have. She has pleaded not guilty to a charge of driving under the influence.
Democratic Political uber-consultant John Wyble, who is not involved in the race, has his own take on Hague’s recent misstep:
“It sounds like she’s nervous…”
Or… drunk…
… given all the things that have happened in the last few weeks. She may be in trouble … I don’t think I’ve ever seen a County Council candidate throw in their own money, especially $50,000.”
But of course, there are two sides to every story. (At least, in traditional journalism.)
But on Tuesday afternoon, Hague’s campaign spokesman, Brett Bader, said no contribution had been made. He said the campaign’s report to the PDC was “inadvertently filed,” and he didn’t know how the mistake had been made.
“There was no contribution made nor deposited,” Bader said.
Hague has no idea how the mistake was made. Hmm. I’m guessing we should just blame it on some staffer. That said…
Bader said Tuesday it is possible that Hague will make a significant contribution — on her own.
Say… $50,000?
When a candidate puts his or her own money into a campaign, he said, that’s “a demonstration that the candidate is committed to winning and doing what needs to be done.”
Or, that she’s discovered even her traditional Republican donors don’t want to give money to a blame-shifting, drunken liar, who can’t seem to manage the enormous sums of money they’ve already given her.
Hague at the time reported total contributions of $268,142, but her campaign said Tuesday $47,400 of that was intended for a separate surplus account and was accidentally deposited in the 2007 campaign account. The money has been returned to the correct account, according to the campaign.
So… um… if Pope has raised only $3,792 thus far, compared to Hague’s $268,142 (or maybe $220,742… I’m confused)… why would Hague feel the need to inject a record $50,000 of her husband’s own money into her campaign? Hmm. I wonder if she’s done any polling recently?