I would like to apologize. In Friday’s Open Thread, I said that Republican Supreme Court nominees had been lying to Congress since Thomas. That was before John Dean’s testimony. It was at least since William Rehnquist. I apologize for any undue benefit of the doubt that I gave to GOP nominees and the Presidents who nominated them.
Archives for September 2018
The Atlantic: Inside the trauma of family separation:
Rachel Maddow’s show turns 10!
Dotard Трамп—The Amoral Dolt With A 5th Grade Understanding of the World, and Friends:
- Stephen: A damning op-ed distracts Трамп from a damning book
- Seth Meyers: The GOP’s corrupt bargain with “reckless” and “erratic” Трамп
- Ari Melber: Трамп trying to change rule for indefinite jailing of children
- Lawrence O’Donnell: The Dotard Трамп talks impeachment, his own mental health
- Trevor: The New York Times drops shocking anonymous op-ed
- Chris Hayes with Sen. Chris Murphy: History isn’t kind to collaborators
- Stephen: The strange case of the explosive anonymous op-ed
- Ari Melber: Former Трамп campaign aide sentenced in Mueller probe
- WaPo Opinion: Трамп has violated his oath of office — via Twitter
- Jimmy Kimmel REALLY knows who wrote the NY Times op-ed on Трамп
- Трамп: “I’m not going to have time to go golfing, believe me.”
- Bill Maher: Threat level orange:
- Stephen: Presidential leak-crets from the anonymous op-ed writer
- Daily Show: Masterpiece Tweeter—Covfefe
- Late Show: Clue—White House edition
- Seth Meyers: Late Night White House press briefing
- Ari Melber: Senior Трамп Admin. official reveals secret resistance
- Lawrence: Who wrote it?
- Stephen: Трамп’s Cyberbullying of Jeff Sessions continues
- The Late Show: The Reading Rainbow—Bob Woodward’s ‘Fear’
- Seth Meyers: Трампy monologue
- Chris Hayes: Dangers threaten the Dotard Трамп presidency from within and without
- Rachel Maddow: Some Трамп Admin officials see role as protecting US from The Dotard
- Ari Melber with Alyssa Milano: The Dotard is defying the American majority
- Stephen with Sec. John Kerry: Resistance within the White House
- Lawrence O’Donnell: White House has list of who could have written op-ed
- James Corden: Surprise! Трамп’s inauguration crowd photo was doctored!
- Trevor: Boycott Season hits Nike, the New Yorker and Ryan Gosling
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jimmy Kimmel knows who wrote NY Times op-ed on Трамп
- WaPo: Unraveling President Трамп’s top 5 claims
- Mental health experts: Трамп is dangerous & unstable
- Seth Meyers with Chris Cuomo on Why Republicans Embrace The Dotard
- Stephen: Bob Woodward, insiders call the White House “crazytown”
- Ari Melber: Трамп White House rocked by scathing anonymous attack from Трамп official
- Lawrence O’Donnell: An “amoral” Трамп led cabinet to consider invoking 25th amendment
Rachel Maddow with Steve Kornacki: Ayanna Pressley poised to make history with historic House seat.
Ali Velshi: Can Beto O’Rourke and Dems turn Texas blue?
Mental Floss: The surprising history of school
- Ari Melber: Supreme Court pick ducks question on firing Special Counsel
- Mother Jones: Kavanaugh turns his back on Parkland father
- Rachel Maddow: Democrats aim for potential cracks in GOP support for Brett Kavanaugh
- WaPo: Sen Booker, “I’m knowingly violating the rules” and releasing documents
- Trevor: Kamala Harris brings the heat at Kavanaugh hearing
- Stephen: Трамп rebukes “embarrassing” protestors at Kavanaugh’s hearing
- Seth Meyers with Chris Cuomo on Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing.
- Rachel Maddow: GOP carries Brett Kavanaugh weight to protect legally precarious Трамп
- Kavanaugh turns his back on Parkland father
- Ari Melber with Sen. Whitehouse Трамп’s SCOTUS pick open to gutting Roe v. Wade
- Jonathan Mann: Not Obvious To Kananaugh:
- Seth Meyers: GOP Rushes Kavanaugh hearing amid Трамп’s legal woes
- Chris Hayes: Senator Cory Booker blasts SCOTUS hearing
- Rachel Maddow: Overlap in Brett Kavanaugh nomination and Трамп Russia probe becomes clear
- Trevor: The battle over Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation
- Mark Fiore: Embrace your inner Kavanaugh
- Stephen: Cory Booker tells Senate committee chairman to “bring it”
- Rachel Maddow: Democrats try to make case for Brett Kavanaugh perjury with past emails
- Late Show: The Brett Kavanaugh free for all
- WaPo: Harris questions Kavanaugh on the Mueller probe.
- Heads Of State: Brett Kavanaugh and Dotard Трамп on withholding SCOTUS documents
- Rachel Maddow: U.S. women see reason to reject Dotard Трамп SCOTUS pick Brett Kavanaugh
The Atlantic: Why is America obsessed with lawns.
Largest prison strike in U.S. history.
Burning Their Foot-bras To “Own The Libs”:
- Amber Ruffin and Seth Meyers on protests against Nike’s Ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick.
- Chris Hayes: People are lighting shoes on fire to “own the libs”.
- WaPo: “Just Do It”—Colin Kaepernick stars in new Nike ad campaign
- Jimmy Kimmel: Some People are really mad at Nike
- Trevor: Nike’s Kaepernick ad
Stephen: A Twitter bill to swallow.
Physics Girl: What size magnet will erase a credit card.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Since Justice Thomas, there has been an expectation that Republican nominees for the Supreme Court lie during their confirmation hearings. Thomas pretending that he wasn’t sexually harassing Anita Hill. George W. Bush’s nominees pretending that they didn’t have an opinion on roe. That kept going under Trump.
But yeah. Kavanaugh is worse. Just brazenly lying about who he talked to about the Muller investigation. Knowable facts. At this point, not only should the Senate not support him, the House should probably impeach him.
You get what you pay for. Except teachers. Obviously we should nickle and dime the people who spend hours teaching children. That’s why we should oppose the teacher strikes: Because who needs children, what have they ever done for me?
The Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally meets on Tuesday night for an evening of political conversation over cocktails. Massachusetts is the only state with a primary election tonight. There are 63 days until the November general election.
Can’t make it to Seattle? There are 255 chapters of Living Liberally, including 22 in Washington state, seven in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find a chapter near you. Or consider starting your own chapter.
“It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.