This Presidency is fucking exhausting. Should I write about massive deficits? The second wife beater? Cruel immigration garbage? It’s too much and all at once.
Archives for February 2018
If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” then the girl’s father and mother shall bring proof that she was a virgin to the town elders at the gate. The girl’s father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, and the elders shall take the man and punish him. They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver, and give them to the girl’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.
If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.
Jimmy Kimmel: The week in unnecessary censorship.
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Monopoly’s tabletop abomination
How the FISA process works.
The Census Gets Political:
- PBS: 2020 census is at risk
- Vox: The 2020 census is in serious trouble.
- How a new census question could shift political power in America
James Corden: Political monologue
Seattle Mayor Durkan wants ALL past misdemeanor marijuana convictions erased from people’s records!
Bill Maher and Bari Weiss on the #MeToo movement
Inside Amy Schumer: Shhhh-Nacks.
The Dotard Трамп and His Parade of Banana Republic Idiots:
- Stephen: The Dotard touted the economy as the stock market plunged
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп brags a tiny bit about the stock market
- WaPo: Watch Трамп boast about the stock market
- Sam Seder: Трамп’s fascism squad arrest Kansas chemistry teacher who lived here for 30 years
- Young Turks: Omarosa makes ominous Трамп warning
- Seth Meyers: Трампs disturbing week—Russia, military parade, Rob Porter
- Chris Hayes: President Dotard Трамп gets mocked for his parade idea
- Bill Maher: Abusive aides and military parades
- Jimmy Kimmel: Hair stylists react to Трамп’s hair flapping in the wind
- Samantha Bee: This week in chaos—Nunes & BIEs
- Mental health experts on The Dotard Трамп’s mental health
- Trevor: Of course Трамп wants to throw himself a military parade
- Jimmy Fallon: “The Times, They are a Changing:
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Tim Baltz takes on the FBI
- Late Show: G.I. Joe’s new companion is. . . Cadet Bone Spurs!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп would wipe the floor with Mueller
- Stephen: The White House got rid of a bad man (no, not Трамп)
- Seth Meyers: Late Night White House press briefing
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Why John Kelly is hiding from the American people
- Fact checking Трамп: No, wages didn’t just start rising when the Dotard was elected
- Chris Hayes: The Dotard Трамп’s attitude about women has never wavered
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Just between us—Nunes memo dominates court of public opinion
- Young Turks: Трамп orders military parade
- Sam Seder: Melania demanded White House be exorcised after Obama left, right-wing pastor claims
- Rachel Maddow: Eric Holder, “There’s a persuasive case that Presidents can be indicted
- Stephen: Why Трамп doesn’t want to talk to Robert Mueller
- Bill Maher with Rep. Adam Schiff: The #DemMemo
- Jimmy Kimmel: Kellyanne Conway interrupts Kimmel monologue
- Super Deluxe: Sarah Huckabee Sanders as a country song
- Young Turks: Трамп chickens out on Mueller interview
- Rachel Maddow: Rob Porter access to classified information raises huge legal question
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Veteran Congressman, military parade is the “stupidest thing I’ve ever heard”
- Chris Hayes: Republicans are losing their religion on deficits
- Lauren Mayer: The Perjury Trap
- Seth Meyers: Трамп wants a military parade, lies about immigration
- WaPo: D.C. and the media react to the Трамп parade plan.
- Stephen: Our very smart President can easily handle Robert Mueller
- Lauren Mayer: There are worse things Трамп could do
- Seth Meyers: Let’s get petty with Dotard Трамп’s bald spot
- Late Show: Global warming is now “not necessarily a bad thing”
- Young Turks: Even some Republicans blast Трамп’s parade
- Francesca Fiorentini: This is what plutocracy looks like
- Jimmy Kimmel: Melania Трамп follows Barack Obama on Twitter
- Bill Maher: New Rule—if you can’t read, you can’t be President:
- Stephen: A footnote completely ruins Devin Nunes’ argument
- David Pakman: Judge who Трамп insulted will preside over Mexico wall case
- Chris Hayes: The Dotard Трамп already has a YUGE problem with infrastructure plan
- Trevor: Трамп the jokester accuses Democrats of treason
- Vox: The Трамп—FOX & Friends feedback loop, explained
- WaPo: D.C. council member says Трамп’s plans for military parade are all about his ego
- Late Show: The Трампs-Giving Day military parade
- Bill Maher: 25 things you don’t know about Devin Nunes
Samantha Bee: This week in chaos—Nukes
Lawrence O’Donnell: Charlie Cook suggests a blue wave following Dem win in Трамп country.
Jimmy Kimmel: Jesus is your flu shot.
Black History Month:
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Black Lives? Manners!
- Samantha Bee: Racist Roadshow.
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп celebrates Black History Month
- Full Frontal: Black history spotlight—John Robinson.
Mark Fiore: Buster the little nuke!
The new face of the NRA.
Sam Seder with Ari Berman: Koch brother scumbags and the best elections money can buy.
Jimmy Kimmel demonstrates why denying gay couples wedding cakes is wrong:
The fight for birthright citizenship in America.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Fuck Rob Porter. Fuck this administration covering up for him. A lot of people should start resigning in disgrace, start with John Kelly. But also, the people who swore up and down that Kelly would be the grownup in the room can go too.
I should have noted the passage of the Reproductive Parity Act in the Senate earlier. Since it has passed the House multiple times, it should be law by the end of the session.
The Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally meets tonight for our weekly gathering of conversation over drinks. Please stop by and say hello.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Check out one of the 244 chapters of Living Liberally, including 23 in Washington state, six in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find, or go out and start, a chapter near you.
Super Bowl Sunday when you don’t have a rooting interest is the best. We only had a few hours of sunshine, but the park was practically empty. I had a great walk, then took a nearly empty bus home. I am generally in favor of more density, but every once in a while, I quite like using public amenities without all of the public.
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: LGBT acceptance plummets in America
Minute Physics: Why is Relativity Hard? Special Relativity Chapter 1
Young Turks: Florida anti-voting rights law found unconstitutional.
State of The Dotard Трамп’s Mental Health:
- Jimmy Kimmel: Omarosa’s post White House gig
- Stephen interviews Piers Morgan’s interview of Dotard Трамп.
- Seth Meyers: Hey! Трамп’s plan to ignore Russia sanctions
- Francesca Fiorentini: How NOT to talk about immigration
- Late Show: Russian news reports that U.S. won’t impose sanctions
- David Pakman: WTF?!? Banned Russia spy chief met CIA director in US
- Jimmy Fallon: Dotard Трамп prepares for his first State Of The Union
- Trevor: Трамп State Of The Union was not a night for facts
- WaPo opinion: The Nunes memo is no smoking gun
- Stephen: Welcome to the mess, Hope Hicks
- Farron Cousins: Kellyanne Conway is furious that fact checkers are calling out President Shithouse
- Young Turks: Трамп’s Black unemployment bragging backfires BIGLY
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA-7) on boycotting the State of the Union
- James Corden: Трамп’s first SOTU. Hopefully his last.
- Seth Meyers and Rachel Maddow talk about Трамп and the Russia probe
- Late Show: Трамп’s SOTU Wasn’t The Highest-Rated Ever… Unless…
- Chris Hayes: What did Carter Page know?
- Samantha Bee: The actual state of our union
- Jimmy Kimmel interviews Stormy Daniels:
- Late Show: Sharks join the “Трамп attacked me on Twitter” hall of fame
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп and Jay-Z feud
- Seth Meyers: Трамп gives State Of The Union and GOP tries to discredit Russia probe
- Stephen: Obama’s SOTU had more viewers.
- Samantha Bee: Sam’s rescue farm for government workers
- Bill Maher: Banana Republic
- Young Turks: Infamous Nunes memo finally released
- James Corden: The most-viewed monologue in history
- Jonathan Mann: We see right through you Devin Nunes
- Lawrence O’Donnell: John Kelly picks sides in Dotard Трамп v. truth
- Rachel Parris’ guide to serious journalism and theatrical…Piers Morgan / Трамп
- Seth Meyers: Трамп and GOP move to release controversial Russia memo
- Daily Show: Mike Pence eye-banging The Dotard Трамп.
- SuperDeluxe: Melania Трамп goes bye-bye at the State of the Union
- Songify the News: Трамп’s State of the Union, but if the Teleprompters broke:
- Stephen: How many Democrats does it take to respond to a SOTU
- Jimmy Kimmel: On Трамп releasing Nunes memo
- Young Turks: Трамп’s Stormy Daniels problem Won’t. Go. Away.
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Shining a gaslight on a New American Moment
- Jimmy Fallon: Трамп translates common Spanish phrases.
- Stephen: Did the White House help Nunes write the memo?
- Mark Fiore: State of America First.
- Seth Meyers and Rachel Maddow: Rachel explains the Nunes memo.
- Chris Hayes: President Dotard Трамп’s new bald-faced lie about his State Of The Union
- Late Show: Michael Weatherly’s “Bull” was interrupted by Трамп’s State Of The Union
- Conan: Melania Трамп delivered a SOTU rebuttal
- Stephen: State Department saw “no need” to impose sanctions on Russia
- Farron Cousins: Lawyers for Трамп officials say Трамп indictment is almost certain
- Bill Maher and friends: Post-Трамп world
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп’s bombshell admission of guilt
- The President Show: Finally Presidential again—The President’s State of the Union response:
- Late Show: Ground Hog Day 2—The Трамп Era.
- Seth Meyers: Did Трамп try to obstruct the obstruction of justice investigation?
- Daily Show: The State Of Black Shit address
- Roy Wood Jr. honors one of the great fails in Black History
- Sam Seder: Hannity ‘pee pee tape’ discussion goes HAYWIRE very quickly
- Bill Maher: Трамп’s wall of lies
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Trimming the fat at the Department of Education
- Jimmy Fallon: Трамп first State Of The Union
- Young Turks: Трамп lies about his State Of The Union ratings
- Jonathan Mann: Memo Memo Memo Memo Memo
- Stephen goes mano a mano with “our cartoon President”
- Farron Cousins: Eric Трамп throws a tantrum because Democrats didn’t clap enough for his daddy
- The President Show: So many thanks—The President’s response to his State of the Union response
- Jimmy Kimmel: Stormy Daniels and Трамп’s State Of The Union
- Late Show: Melania Трамп gives her own State Of The Union
Jimmy Kimmel: The week in unnecessary censorship
Mental Floss: The Olympics.
- James Corden: Hillary Clinton Bailed James out
- James Corden: Grammy auditions for reading Fire and Fury
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Passing Judgment on Pope Francis, Tony Perkins and Google Home
Samantha Bee: Forced arbitration.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
The other day, The Seattle Times had a very good, well reported piece on who knew what in terms in Ed Murray’s past alleged sex abuse. It’s a good piece of reporting, and worth a read. But I have to comment on one thing that they didn’t do well.
Murray pointed out that news media had opted not to run the story in 2008, after Simpson and another accuser, Lloyd Anderson, threatened a lawsuit and spoke with some reporters.
Um, name the reporters. I know it’s tough if it’s your friends and colleagues, maybe even you, but people fucked up. There is probably an interesting press story about how he got away with it for so long.