That was fun. Seriously…we had a terrific turnout with lots of new faces last night at the Montlake Alehouse. And the contest itself was quite amusing. So here are the thoughts that I came away with.
- Mitt wins by the slimmest of margins—eight fucking votes! Eight votes!
- I couldn’t really hear Santorum’s victory speech. Based on how long it went on, I assume he was just filibustering or trying to put people to sleep before Mitt’s victory speech.
- My favorite (straight) MSM post-game quote (so far) comes from CBS, “Santorum pulled off a stunning come from behind performance in Tuesday’s Iowa caucuses….”
- How much of a fucking loser must Mitt Romney feel like now? Four years of nearly continuous campaigning since the 2008 Iowa caucus…Mitt goes from 30,021 votes in 2008 down to 30,015 in 2012.
- In the mid-December debate open thread I wrote :
And how ’bout that Ron Paul at 18%!?! Most of the other nutberger candidates have had their fling with the pole position…Ron Paul should get his shot, too. And to top the whole thing off like a layer of creamy chocolate frosting, we should get Rick Santorum [the] next week.
So…the MSM meme that the Santorum surge was totally unexpected isn’t quite right.
- This is almost pathetically sad:
Michele Bachmann told a small group of supporters Tuesday night that she’s staying in the presidential race as the only true conservative who can defeat the sitting president, despite a bleak showing in the Iowa caucuses.
This borders on delusional—Bachmann currently polls worse against Obama than even Rick Perry.
And either she was “misunderinforming” people or needed time to sober up or chat with God. Because this morning she surrenders.
- Rick Perry, either more sober or with God on speed dial, surrendered last night.
- The real winner last night: Barack Obama. Really, he won both caucuses.
More fun next Tuesday!