Protests continue today.
And one of those [bargaining] chips may be a bill to require voters to show ID at the polls – a change Republicans have long wanted and Democrats fear will disenfranchise voters.
Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) on Monday said Republicans who control the Legislature may bring that bill to the floor if Democrats continue to boycott Senate sessions for much longer. Democrats went to Illinois Thursday to prevent passage of the bill on union rights.
Of course…the Republicans can pass that legislation anyway, and they no doubt will, so it doesn’t seem like much of an incentive.
Wisconsin’s Republican Senators need to quit being whimps. They need to think BIG. Given Walker’s credentials as a good God-fearing Republican extremist (e.g. on reproductive rights), Republicans should use the absence of the Democrats to make a few adjustments in Wisconsin.
Here are some “bargaining chips” the Senate could work on, inspired by fellow Republicans around the country:
- Allow people to carry guns at State universities and colleges.
- And open up the airports to guns while they are at it.
- Require all adults to own a gun.
- Outlaw oral and anal sex between consenting adults in their own bedrooms.
- Pass an “unborn child” defense act, that would justify the murder of abortion doctors.
- Allow doctors to lie to women about the health of their fetus.
- Redefine rape as “forcible rape”.
- Criminalize same-sex marriage.
- Require doctors to show women an ultrasound of her fetus within two hours before receiving an abortion.
- Pass legislation that requires brown people to carry papers proving citizenship.
- Strip “anchor babies” of their citizenship.
- Pass a law to require presidential candidates to present a birth certificate.
- Declare State sovereignty.
- Create an official Wisconsin state currency.
- Make a state holiday around John Birch Society founder Robert Welch’s birthday.
- Opt out of Obamacare.
- Pass a resolution apologizing to BP.
- Require schools to teach a 6000-year-old earth “theory” in biology class.
- Declare global warming beneficial.
- Create an internet kill switch for the governor to use in the event of civil unrest.
And that’s the week one agenda.
Oh, one other thing…rename the state Wississippi.
Update: Oops…I forgot one other of piece of legislation for the Republican’s gonzo week agenda: Weaken child labor laws. This legislation might spark controversy among the Wisconsin Republicans. Some lawmakers would still support Wississippi; others would push for Wiscongladesh.