Somewhat inexplicable to me, some far left critics of Pete Buttigieg have decided that he was working for the CIA. And while he is not my candidate by a long shot, I kind of have to defend him.
There are 2 parts to this. First he worked for a consulting firm that had an NDA. I don’t know enough about the specific firm, but in general NDA’s are bad, but they’re the company, not the employee, who impose them.
The second thing is that he went to Somalia once: A thing that we only know about because he literally wrote about it in the New York Times. Now, I am also not an expert on CIA procedures but it strikes me that this is probably not how they operate:
1) Send a couple people into a country for one (1) day.
2) Meet with officials publicly.
3) Go to the marketplace.
4) Unspecified crimes.
5) Go check out ancient caves.
6) Write about it in an article that’s very critical of US foreign policy including quoting people calling it corrupt.
7) Run for President the first election it’s Constitutionally possible.
Seems like he would keep a lower profile.
But the serious thing I want to say is this: If you see someone promoting this nonsense uncritically, they are a bad source of information; Not just on this specific thing, but going forward.