FoS is advocating a ‘No-No’ vote on the pointless and stupid (and expensive) vote this March. From a press release:
Friends of Seattle announces that it will recommend to its members that they vote NO on Measure 1 to replace the Alaskan Way Viaduct with a tunnel and NO on Measure 2 for an elevated replacement.
After the state’s two intolerable choices are voted down by the voters, our political leaders, at all levels, must work to find a solution that accounts for the goals and values of a livable and sustainable urban community. Friends of Seattle urges the city to work with the county and state to develop a real solution that:
(1) replaces the Viaduct with a pedestrian-friendly Alaskan Way surface boulevard;
(2) expands bus, vanpool, carpool, and water taxi services;
(3) accommodates the movement of freight;
(4) preserves city-owned land on the waterfront for public use as a park;
(5) minimizes the environmental impacts of major construction on Puget Sound; and
(6) accords with City and County commitments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
I wasn’t sure Friends of Seattle had the balls to take a stand against the tunnel. I’m glad they did. What is Governor Gregoire and Speaker Chopp going to do when BOTH measures fail?
I can’t wait for election day, when we can send two bad ideas (the gigantic rebuild and the tunnel) to the dustbin of civic history.