Sorry, I’m still writing about Anthony Weiner. His personal life isn’t of concern to me, nor is the fact that he lied about his personal life, but harassing women concerns me greatly. There is another side to Nick’s piece that I linked to in the open thread that “female members of the House Democratic leadership, as well as the female members of the rank-and-file, are actually personally upset” with his conduct. Namely, Democrats are the party of everyone gets a seat at the table, and as such we have more women in leadership and the rank and file, so more of our leadership and rank and file have got harassing nonsense at work or, for participating in politics, and are less likely to forgive it.
I’ve been thinking about what isn’t a good excuse for such behavior. So here’s a partial list of things that aren’t a good excuses for sending nude pictures of yourself or other harassing email/tweets/Facebook messages without consent:
- It’s the Internet, what do you expect?
- Other people cheat
- Other people are doing/have done something worse
- It was a joke
- Don’t you have a sense of humor
- It’s not a big deal
- He’s a good Congressman
- One of them was a Porn Star, so it’s OK
- Come on
- He’s taking on corporate crime, and that’s worse
- You’re playing into the hands of the GOP
- You’re playing into the hands of Breitbart
- You’re playing into the hands of corporate crooks